Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dreams

I have heard tons of people complain about sleep. The fact that they cant sleep or don't get enough of it. Ive never heard of people complain of it the other way around. I'm one of the lucky ones who fall in the second category.

I think people who don't get enough of sleep are just the ones who don't think out their thoughts completely. This reminds me of a workshop i had attended (organised by yours truly) at one of our very own Rotaract Club meetings. For those who don't know about Rotaract (100% of my readership doesn't, so ill explain) - i was part of this club for a long time - 6 years or so. We did organise several projects. However id like to think some of the best were organised when i was president in 1995-96. Back to the topic. (enough of boasting).

The workshop was on DREAMS. I cant ever forget what he said about dreams. Why do they occur. Imagine a pipe. Water flowing through it. Now hold it in between. You will see water accumulate at the point you hold the pipe. Whenever you let go, you will see the sudden gush of water. The speaker tried to explain to us that it was the same with the human mind. If there is something that you have thought of and not
thought it out completely it comes back in the form of a dream. This comparison of the human mind to the pipe has been etched in me forever.

Try this guys. it works. When there is something bothering you or on your mind. Write it, scribble it, think it out galore, talk bout it (if you can) - you will realise that this will help you think the thought out completely. It will not return to bother you again. Maybe bother is a strong word. But i hope you get the point.

Back to dreams for a while. Do you dream. If yes. What is it that you dream of ? Share an example. Lets try to analyse it. Dreams are a connotation of something. Either a thought or event. They may not have a direct resemblance to real life but may be linked to thoughts, ideas, events that occur in ones life. I have seen quite a few online websites on dreams and what a mountain may mean, or a fairy or anything else. They are all crap. The Mountain may mean something different in my life and may mean something different in someone else's life.

When we had organised this workshop in our club years back - to be precise in 1995, we were all dreading the 45 minutes this guy who was gonna bore 45 of us. You all would be surprised to know that this workshop probably went on for more than 2 hours. People asking so many questions on their dreams and hearing about other live examples of dreams and their analysis.

Anyone out there who attended this workshop in 1995 ?

17 comments:

Annoymously said...

Got home at 4 a.m. so am in a dreamy haze right now, which seems to be the right mood for this post. (One of my rare Sat nite-outs.)

I pretty much self-analyse all my dreams - we all hv enough GK for that. Over the years they've ranged from ghost ones (spine-curdling-will tell u a few when we next catch up) to seeing friends, ppl in your life in your dreams, to action-oriented ones, to even bizarre, creepy ones.

Also remember a few recurring dreams from when i was younger.

Remember a couple of dreams that recurred only if i slept in that room again. Hv dined out on this story for years now.

Why don't u speak of some dreams you've had my friend? Why should we be the only ones to reveal our innermost secrets?

Beta said...

Walking down a dark isolated alley. What does that mean?

Annoymously said...

Hmm.. am no shrink, but seems a variation of the 'dark tunnel' dream ;-) which is a classic birth moment memory or so ppl say. Or perhaps u see urself as a lone wolf..

Unless u're the kind of person no one would like to meet down a dark alley, no worries :)

Annoymously said...

In case anyone's wondering wot the phrase spine-curdling means (oops)- it's a mix of blood curdling and spine chilling. I do know my language.

Mika said...

Beta - You need to analyse that with your current life at that time. for eg. I used to dream about free falling from the 27th floor (my residence in bombay) as a kid. If i were to ask you to analyse that now, you may not unless i told you about the age and my life at that time. So i hope you get what i mean. However a blind shot at your query - lemme see - i think the dark ally is about loneliness, these thoughts disappear when you have a companion. Secondly it could mean afraid about an upcoming event or its outcome. Lemme know if anywhere close.

Annoymously said...

Hey that's interesting hiren, that's a long way down..

Beta said...

Hiren - An upcoming event - Very good indeed. You may have a future here.

Annoy(I am liking this nickname with each passing day) - A lone wolf...now thats something I wish I was. (A fierce growl)

Mika said...

Beta
To err on the side of being a bit modest, let me tell you that im BLOODY GOOD at this.

Annoy
Your interpretations are classic ones and dont generally have a relation to the ones life.

Both of you
Throw something more at me and lemme interpret. Any anonymous readers are also encouraged to do the same.

Annoymously said...

Hv to live up to my nick Beta ; )

& hey guys c'mon, don't leave me outta it - what is this upcoming event i'm hearing so much abt. Knowing guys in general & what gives them bad dreams - am guessing impending matrimony or commitment of some sort..?

Annoymously said...

Hiren, that WAS the point : )

Just keepin it light.

Anonymous said...

I believe that dreams are a true reflection of your innermost thoughts. But I dont understand why I dont dream when I am frazzled (I should dream of my boss, colleagues or interminable meetings)?

When I am beaming, I see a hazy face with a wide smile and a sweet voice. What does that mean?

Mika said...

@ Anonymous

As i had said earlier - you may dream if your thoughts are incomplete. With your frazzled day - boss etc. you have spent enough time being frazzled. When your probably happy and beaming the joy and excitement is still in you. Dreams are letting that emotion out.

The Smiley face and sweet voice, if is repeated its something that reinforces your state of mind. Being content and happy.

Try looking for stories or events that arent repeated in your dreams, they probably will tell you more.

Anonymous said...

I usually cant recall any of my dreams in the morning. But this face has appeared number of times and it belongs to opposite sex. Whats there in store for me... is this some kinda indication?

Mika said...

Hi Anonymous

i have 2 questions here, is the face of a known person or unknown person. Cause both have different meanings. Not to forget - if its a known person - it does not mean you are falling for her/him or something. Surely it is an indication. What indication ill tell you once you have answered my question 1 and 2 is - are you single or married. This again would lead to a different indication.

Anonymous said...

1. its someone known yet anonymous
2. um single

Mika said...

Clarify the following
1) known yet anonymous
2) wats UM single, either single (and ready to mingle) or double (just waiting for trouble)

Please excuse my Pjs. Im exhausted now.

Anonymous said...

excused...

Known yet anonymous means i know the person superficially and UM single means i am single. hope that helps to deduce the conclusion... no more questions pleeeeeeezzzzzzz!!!!