Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Brands you wont see me with....

Is anyone here particular about brands. The kind of clothes they buy/wear or shoes or things at home. I've come across people who would buy only brands, some who couldn't care less - if its comfortable (even though unbranded) its fine.

Which category do most of you fall in?

Over a period of time, brands grow on you. Some however remain hated forever. Sometimes its a bad experience in the past or at times its just a whim (mostly happens with me). So let me go on a brand bashing spree.........

1) HITACHI
The first thing this name reminds me of is our old television. It was our first colour television maybe sometime in the late 80's. I simply hated it. Don't ask me why. Maybe it wasn't the television's fault. It was just that every time we had to keep tuning it for some reason. The picture quality was so poor. This brand reminds me of older generations. I don't ever see myself getting close to this brand.

2) VIDEOCON
What on earth were they thinking when they redesigned their logo recently. The name itself is repulsive to say the least. Who on earth still buys Videocon Tv's, refrigerators etc. They have a fantastic factory - state of the art equipment - big name - big acquisitions world wide but still doesn't appeal to me.

3) PANASONIC
Again a brand name from the previous generation. Quite well known in the late 80's as well. Some may be quite familiar with the brand NATIONAL - this was later re-christened as PANASONIC. Somehow there is no appeal from this brand. This name reminds me of outdated technology and products.

4) LACOSTE
One of the most famous tshirts around with the logo of the crocodile. This brand reminds me of people who play golf (read as rich and old). Would suit perfectly to a 55 year old - white hair - largish tummy. You would never catch me dead in the LACOSTE brand.

5) LEVIS
Ok this one is not that hated - but how may of you have ever seen me wearing a LEVIS. The only one i ever owned was probably sometime in the early 1990's. Does LEVIS 501 ring a bell. Yes it was one of the first button fly jeans. Super tight. (i hated that). The only show off point was the button fly. Not that many ppl noticed it.

6) MOTOROLA
Reminds me of the PAPPU PAGER days. Did you ever own one. I did. Albeit for a super short span of time. It was this flimsy black looking thing that one hooked on the belts. Come to think of it - what a shitty invention. Got wiped out in no time. However the brand sucked for quite long. Now off late, the new branding is working better than before - they have positioned themselves as a more trendy brand - trying to rope in the youth with the "Wats your MOTO".

7) COLGATE
Another brand from the olden days. Some people swear by it. Some like me - just never got down to using it. We always used CLOSE UP. We grew up with that RED toothpaste while the whole world grew up on WHITE toothpaste. Some people of the older generation prefer COLGATE - I still use close up - however its now available in multi colours - green, red, yellow, orange etc. Trust me - nothing like the RED one.

8) CADBURY
I dont like the CADBURY here one bit. Never was one of those who craved for it. Mind you craving for a good chocolate is one thing and craving for the crappy CADBURY is another thing all together. I guess we were quite used to a lot of foreign chocolates early on. Snickers, KitKat, Toblerone, Galaxy - i could go on and on.

9) LEE COOPER
NEVER buy a lee cooper shoe. i repeat for those who never understood. NEVER. Since May 2009 i have not been able to wear a leather shoe. I have developed "Calcneus spur", thanks to my older Lee cooper shoe. In lay mans language its the bone at the base of the foot that extends itself. I don't know how many more months i would have to live in my Reeboks.

10) CROSS / MONT BLANC
These are most found with businessmen. Those who think they have arrived. Mark of prosperity. I think its more of a symbol to say "NOTICE ME". Do i need it. Nah. Not me to shout out loud and say NOTICE ME.

Enough of brand bashing. These views are personal and mine. They do not reflect anything but my opinion about the brand. So if any of you reading this one have a different opinion - do share it here. Lets just hear your views. Also if there is any brand that you don't like - say it here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basically You have named all the top brands. Sure there may be reasons for u hating them but you can't even live without them. What about your NOKIA phone and your HONDA car and your Sony playstation. For every brand u hate there are 10 you endorse. So don't say u are not a brand person because u are my friend

Mika said...

Hello Mr not so Anonymous. Well read the title. Brands you wont see me with. I never claimed not to be a brand person. You got the NOKIA and HONDA right but got the play station wrong - its the XBOX silly.

As I write this comment - im surrounded by the brands I like - NIKE tshirt - Giordano skater shorts - Dell Laptop - aahhh the list is endless.

What brands wont i see you with???

Annoymously said...

First and most important. This is a FAR better pic you've got here! Pl replace your fb one with this pronto. Please.

TV brands - i have no strong feelings for any of them :) tho your bitch list is fun to read (just made that term up!) Again, lots of potential for a continuing series. Yay!

Yes, Lacoste is very much a "gift to daddy" kind of brand, though I don't even do that now. The Lee Cooper story is so scary! Gosh. You need to write to those folks. An American would be suing by now. I totally agree abt the pen brands. So pretentious.

And what about the fakers? Yknow, those who wear the fake croc logo and pretend it's a Lacoste. Y'know, LL actually carried a Mont Blanc look alike. Lol. I need to build that in somewhere.

I agree with what you have to say. We use brands we like, but probably equal amounts of unbranded too when it's about utility. Am partial to say - AND as a label - but that's a factor of quality/ indigenous pdt and still more sensible than splurging on over the top expensive designers - just for the label.

On chocs - actually Cadbury was all we had growing up & me being the choco maniac, it is part of childhood memory. Before dark chocolates came to our shores, I was into Bournville dark too. But yes, you won't find me buying Cadbury now.

Mika said...

Ah annoy is here at last - what im more interested in is - what is your "bitch list". bring up may be four or five that one wouldnt catch you with and why.

Yes the fixation with FAKES seems like a nice thing to blog about. One would also see a lot of women carrying the Louis Vuitton fakes these days. If I was a woman - i'd rather not carry one than carry a fake.

Yes boss - message regarding the pic is taken and shall be implemented soon.